We are excited to announce a major transition for Guiding Star Duluth. We began in 2010 as a 501(c)3 non-profit providing resources to support organizations that empower families to make positive life affirming choices. Our ongoing mission is to CONNECT women, family centered services and resources to SUPPORT and EMPOWER families in make positive live affirming choices. We are working Together for Life…Building a Culture of Hope to TRANSFORM our community.
This vision has resulted in a vibrant Together for Life COLLABORATIVE of life affirming and pro-family organizations which has improved access to services for women and their families by the organizations working together to provide services.
Through the generosity of our donors, we have held five annual Together for Life banquets highlighting culture of life organizations in our region and honoring leaders in the movement (Fr. Crossman Culture of Life Award). This has allowed us to financially support local culture of life organizations with over $85,000 during the past five years.
In 2013, Guiding Star Duluth agreed to serve as the first “official affiliate” of the newly formed non-profit, The Guiding Star Project focused in building Guiding Star Centers nationally. In 2016, while we continue the philosophy of Guiding Star, the GSD Board of Directors prayerfully reviewed our affiliation and determined the best interests of Guiding Star Duluth were no longer being served. We will continue to focus regionally and more broadly – from conception to include end of life resources.
We are excited to announce, our new name “Together for Life”. We will continue our united commitment to “Building a Culture of Hope” in the Northland from conception through eternity.
We have designed this new logo to recognize our “Guiding Star” history with the star – Matthew 2:9-10 …they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.
The olive branch represents unity and peace as we are ecumenical reaching across individuals, organizations and denominations committed to building a culture of life. 1 Corinthians 1: 10-13…I urge you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ., that all of you agree in what you say, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same purpose.
The name highlights who we are. When faced with life decisions – whether at conception, birth or end of life, we believe “building a culture of hope” is critical to making “life affirming choices from conception to eternity”.
In 2016, our Board has diligently worked to:
- Update and expand our Board of Directors as Sr. Anna Rose was called to another location with the Franciscan Sisters. We thanked Nicole Barousse and Dr. Bruce Henson as they served us well over their terms. We are blessed to have new board members including Marg Wolters, Dan and Kristin Walch, Timothy Trumball, Rebecca Ballard, Dr. Cindy Bates, Barb Hoene and Catherine Patrick Olson.
- Hire a new Executive Director, Victoria Gonzalez has been serving in this role since July, 2016.
- Rebuild our infrastructure including a website and Facebook.
- Continue hosting the monthly TFL Collaborative (Sept – May); and
- Host the 5th Annual Banquet on Sunday, January 29, 2016.
We need your generous support in time, treasure and talent as we enter 2017:
- Host the 6th Annual Banquet (being held on Sunday, April 30th,, 2017)
- Develop and implement a Christian Film Festival “fun”draiser.
- Elevate and expand the Collaboration by leading an updated local Collaborative Review process that is set to “tackle our grand challenge” around “building a culture of life” together in the Northland.
- Work to open or find a partner to increase Christian-based housing and assistance available for expecting mothers in the Northland.
- Expand access and resources to support for end of life counseling and care choices.
“This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:19)
Vision for the Future
Our Vision…to open a Together For Life Center including a Maternity Home to help fill the dire need for housing for homeless mothers in our community.
Our Hope…to go beyond housing to transforming women’s lives with education, holistic medical care and comprehensive services by continuing to partner with our collaborative partners.
Our Community…from vision to reality will only be possible through your prayers, hard work, and generous financial support.